P5 - Photo Essay (New Ulm, MN)

 









Artist Statement
For this assignment I decided to create a photo walk for New Ulm, Minnesota. New Ulm has a very Germanic heritage, and they embrace that throughout the architecture, typefaces, parks, and all aspects of the town. As I was going to New Ulm for Thanksgiving Break, I decided that it would make for a very interesting photo essay as a lot of people do not typically vacation there or immediately know about the city. There are many places of interest to photograph in new Ulm, and sadly I did not get to see all of them, but I got a few of the highlights in my photos. To start off the photo walk, I went to Hermann Heights Park which is designed around the “Hermann the German” statue which is the third largest copper statue in the United States. I then went to New Ulm’s Glockenspiel, which is a large clock tower with bells. The city of New Ulm is also very dedicated to decorating for Christmas, so I was able to capture the Three Wise Men that they have set out on the Glockenspiel. The next photo is of the entrance to the Marktplatz Mall where the Germanic typeface is clearly visible. I also was able to capture the artistic side of New Ulm with the mural that shows the Germanic typeface as well as different symbols associated with Germany such as beer mugs, a gnome, and the embellishments on the sides. The photo of the building is there to help define the architecture of New Ulm, and the roots it takes in the brick work and use of windows. The fountain is located in “German Park” which is in downtown New Ulm where they have a large amphitheater and gardens that surround it. Even though I was not able to visit The Way of the Cross, which outlines the Roman Catholic roots of New Ulm, or Schell’s Brewery which hosts Oktoberfest every fall, I feel like I was able to dig a little deeper into the meaning behind New Ulm’s architecture, parks, and the Germanic roots.





Comments

Popular Posts